- Co-ops are part of the local community.
- Employees live and work in the local community.
- As part of the community, co-ops try to operate in a responsible, quiet and considerate manner.
return their earnins to local members, either in equity or cash. In
either case the money stays in the local community. That means shopping
at a co-op:
- helps to strengthen the local economy.
- keeps profits at home.
- provides employment and stability for people in the local community.
- Being locally owned and controlled means that co-ops are there to meet the needs of local residents, not outside investors.
- Co-ops believe in giving back to the community and typically support a wide range of charitable and community organizations that contribute to the social, cultural and recreational needs of the community.
- Co-op employees are encouraged to volunteer with local community organizations.
- Each individual co-op has its own way of contributing to the quality of life in its home community